despite of an error message at startup is working fine, as long as I'm not trying to configure it, since GConf is not working.

just use windows manager like cwm or fvwm2+your own configuration.
I for example use my 9 year old .fvwm2rc which results in cwm-alike environment.

it's really easier to just run program you need (like openoffice writer, mail client, gimp etc.) instead of running bells and whistles like Gnome.

I assume you need workstation (==computer to do actual work). Gnome nor XFCE nor KDE doesn't help in doing actual work.

Check it out how is it to work normal way.

be working fine. But I couldn't raise the volume because PulseAudio seems to need HAL to do it, which is severely bugged.

tools like youtube_dl would make your life better - download and then play. And keep interesting movies on your disk so they will not disappear.

It's been a long time since I could run a GUI desktop with DragonFly. On the other hand, I still can't get my PF firewall to work with my DragonFly server. I didn't have enough time to try to get some traces and report them

cannot help without any precise information.