Try something like this in your plugins section:

<plugin>
 <!-- This produces a monolithic runnable jar with no external dependencies:
 service-monitor-${project.version}-jar-with-dependencies.jar -->
 <configuration>
         <descriptorRefs>
                 <descriptorRef>jar-with-dependencies</descriptorRef>
         </descriptorRefs>
         <archive>
                 <manifest>

<mainClass>info.cathdb.funcnet.monitor.ServiceMonitor</mainClass>
                 </manifest>
         </archive>
 </configuration>
 <executions>
         <execution>
                 <id>make-assembly</id>
                 <phase>package</phase>
                 <goals>
                         <goal>single</goal>
                 </goals>
         </execution>
 </executions>
</plugin>

Take out the archive section if it's just a library with no main. Run
"mvn package" and it'll appear in your target directory.

Be prepared for it to be surprisingly large :-)

Andrew.

:: http://biotext.org.uk/ ::