I have a similar requirement which is to remove unused namespaces from SOAP
message dynamically.
As Daniel indicated " JAXB adds namespaces prefixes on the root for every
namespace it knows about so it doesn't have to do it later"
JAXB adds namespace prefixes based on service xml schema.

A real SOAP message normally  does not contains every xml element defined by
schema because optional XML element does not show up if it does not have data.
Therefore the namespaces of unused xml elements in the message are not needed.
I have a web service having 250+ namespace (huge isn't it?).  The SOAP message
contains 250+ line namespace prefix regardless how many elements being used in
SOAP message.
To reduce a SOAP message size, I am looking for a way to dynamically remove
unused namespace prefix based on the xml elements used in the SOAP message.
Since each SOAP message uses different set of elements, unused namespaces are
different accordingly.
What I did in AXIS world is to add a handler to find out unused namespace and
remove them.

Is there way I can do it in  CXF JAXB?

Thanks

Ed