Hello Dennis,

i will try to explain my interpretation.

The important sentence in RFC-2392 is:
A "cid" URL is converted to the corresponding Content-ID message header
[MIME] by removing the "cid:" prefix, converting the % encoded  character to
their equivalent US-ASCII characters"

And especially the last part "converting the % encoded  character to their
equivalent US-ASCII characters" explictly define a decode, which now no
longer exist.

I think the problem is the example in the specification, which do not comply
to this definition. But this is already covered since year 2000 *by a errata
for RFC-2392*
https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/rfc2392

This errata contain the correct example that comply with the text:

I think the definition make sense. The value behind "cid:" must be URI
encoded, since in must be a valid URI. The HTTP header Content-ID has not
limitation to be encoded.

Do you agree with my interpretation?
If yes, than we shall create an issue on CXF side and request a rollback the
changes done with CXF-7317

Thank you,
Kind regards,
Thomas