> when i tried updating from 3.5.5 to 3.6.0 i noticed a problem at runtime
> where a class contained in saaj-impl was missing. until 3.5.5 (and also in
> 3.5.6) the scope of com.sun.xml.messaging.saaj:saaj-impl is runtime. this
> changed in 3.6.0 and newer versions to test (see [1]). i'm now wondering if
> this was done on purpose? if yes, wouldn't it be good to add a note to the
> migration guide? the fix on our side is obviously easy…

Actually, with Java8 (which is the baseline for 3.5.x), there is no direct
dependency on SAAJ for cxf-core.  It’s not mentioned in the pom.xml at all.
The “java9+” profiles added the various javax* things to make them mimic what
is provided by Java8.    CXF 3.6 and 4.0 are Java11 based and thus the
dependencies are setup/more optimized for those environments.

--
Daniel Kulp
dk...@apache.org <mailto:dk...@apache.org>