On 9/23/10 11:50 AM, Wasscher, Ewald wrote:
Good day,

We're currently testing Apache Directory Server (ADS) in a custom environment
for a customer of ours. In this environment ADS is used to store certificates
and certificate revocation lists. At first everything seemed to be working
fine, but we encounter an error that seems to randomly occur every now. When
adding an object, viewing an object in Directory Studio or adding attributes
(the certificate) to an existing object this fails with the following message
in apacheds-rolling.log: ERR_00004 The PDU buffer size is too small !. After
encountering this error I twice raised the max PDU buffer size in server.xml to:

maxPDUSize="40000000"

And restarted the server. Unfortunately the error still occurs every now and
then. I'd appreciate if someone could explain why this occurs and, if possible,
how this can be fixed. I added a log fragment, which is, for the sake of
readability, an attachment. The company name as it occurs in the log file has
been modified.
This is a serious issue. This error just indicate that the encoding is not correctly process a request or a response (ie, we compute the encoded PDU for a LDAP message, allocate the appropriate ByteBuffer, then feed it with the real data). If you get this error, that means we try to store a bigger value than the buffer we allocated...

At this point, I would suggest you first create a JIRA for this, and provide a bit more informations :
- ADS version you are using
- attach an LDIF for the entry that fails (if it's always the same entry, of course)

If it's not enough, we can provide a patch to dump the message when you get this error, so that we can analyze exactly what's going on.

Sorry for the burden !

--
Regards,
Cordialement,