Hi Oleg,

On 19 avr. 2011, at 18:05, Oleg Konovalov wrote:

> Wow, I did not realize that there is built-in ApacheDS server in Studio,
> though I am now connecting to my standalone one (on localhost).
> It is confusing, they should have marked it as built-in.

Actually it is on the homepage of the Apache Directory Studio website:
> *Embedded ApacheDS*
> Apache Directory Studio bundles the latest version of the LDAPV3 certified
> ApacheDS. Creating and launching a new LDAP server now takes less than 10
> seconds!

The idea was to be able to start an LDAP Server without requiring an additional
installation from the user.

> I can not find its server.xml.  Is it running on Tomcat inside Studio's
> Eclipse ?

There is no Tomcat inside Studio.
Each server defined within Studio has a dedicated (somehow hidden) folder in
the plugin's settings folder.
This folder is referenced in the "Properties" of the server, accessible via the
context menu.

> I assume that when I go to Windows Services and start ApacheDS from there,
> It is external one on localhost, correct ?

Indeed.

> It is there I was able to create a new partition.
> Yes, created new Connection to it.
>
> So you are saying that since embedded one doesn't have server.xml, I can't
> possibly create partition there ?

Don't worry, it has a dedicated server.xml. See above.
You can even double click on the server to edit the configuration graphically
within Studio.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud