This is really weird ... switching back to LDAP API now works *and*
ADS is able to display the default schema, which wasn't working
yesterday.

BTW, it is OpenLDAP that I'm connecting to and, yes, it is via LDAPS.

I had switched back to -M8 since that continued to work without
problems. I'll switch back again to -M10 and see how I get on with
that. If it gets stuck again, I've got the JDK installed now and I'll
give you the thread dump.

Regards

Philip