On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 10:45 AM, Onno van der Straaten <
onno.van.der.straa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm new to ApacheDS and have been trying to setup a working configuration.
> Failing. I am abandoning attempts to use this and will recommending against
> using ApacheDS on the project I am currently working on.
>
> There are too many issues, it gives me very uneasy feeling.
>

>    - I tried the latest release M22, it doesn't work, fails to install on
>    Ubuntu and CentOS.

   - I tried M20, which installs and works but found that studio does not
>    work DIRSTUDIO-889
>    - Previous studio version had another issue. Open configuration does not
>    work, shows message "OID ads-basedn does not exist!".
>    - Purportedly studio version should match servers version so I tried
>    complete new install of M8 of studio and server. This version also
> produces
>    error message on open configuration ATTRIBUTE_TYPE for" OID
>    ads-dsmaxpdusize does not exist!".
>

> My conclusion is that there is no clear stable working ApacheDS release at
> this point. That navigating around various issues surrounding combination
> of server and studio is time consuming is one thing. The key thing however
> is that the many issues raise questions about quality.

IMHO "quality" is a loaded term, it means various things at various levels.
I understand your frustration, you tried a OS specific installer which has
a bug
that wasn't caught by the buildbot.

Now, when we primarily release a version we mostly ensure that the archive
installer works besides the regular reviews of code and other things.

The other installers are released just to help some users like you but
people
just complain instead of coming back to us with a fix, I say this cause we
are
all volunteers here, working out of our own passion.

There is nothing wrong in you or your company evaluating and taking a
decision
but what bothers me is the tone in this mail which seems to be expecting
that we
do all the work so that you or your company can happily include it in the
said project.

Many users on this list use this server on a daily basis (even in
production environments)
and they know and follow the OSS way, we appreciate that.

But expecting us to do everything for you, that, I say, is unfair.

Kiran