4.2.7.1 - Enable Authenticated Users to Browse and Read Entries
http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/advanced-ug/4.2.7.1-enable-authenticated-users-to-browse-and-read-entries.html

the documentation is good but it took me a while to figure out. this post helped me https://serverfault.com/questions/119826/configure-apacheds-1-5-with-accesscontrolenabled-true-for-authenticated-access where cmyers answers his own question at the end.

would be good if the documentation specified in "AdministrationPoint setup" that Fetch->Operational Attributes and Fetch->Subentries need to be enabled in order to see changes that are going to made during tutorial