There are two things that can be done here:

- introduce a delay between each change

- benefit from the capability of the server to support transactions.

On the second point, OpenLDAP is going to support it (in 2.5 I believe). ApacheDS will have it implemented in the coming version. The big advantage of using transactions is that updates are going to be way faster. Some tests I did on ApacheDS shows that it can update up to 4 times faster. It would be a good thing that the batch update leverage this feature by gathering updates with a transaction (or many, like committing every 100 updates, for instance).

On the first point, it's just a parameter to add to the Batch control, I guess. I would suggest to fill a JIRA with such a requirement for the sake fo tracability.

Thanks !