Hi GNA,

If your system has Hyperthreading (considering it is Intel), your CPU will have
two logical cores per physical core
(so you can run two threads simultaneously per physical core).
In your case, you have logical 24 cores (2 sockets x 6 cores/socket x 2 logical
cores/physical core).

> 2. I am trying to work on the Link status change application.
>
> I am confused with the terminology, having not much experience, So
> here is the confusion.
>
> I have the compiled application: link_status.
>
> ./link_status -c f -n 4-- -q 8 -p 0x0f
>
> Here I am setting the portmask as 0x0F as I am going to use 4 ports.
> Next -q NQ: A number of queues (=ports) per lcore (default is 1)

As stated in the help, "q" parameter sets the number of queues that will be
handled by a single core.
So, if using -q 1 with 4 ports, you will need 4 cores. If you want to use only
1 core, then you should use -q 4.