Hi Experts,

I am testing performance of my dpdk based application which forwards packets
from port 1 to port 2 of 40G NIC card and via versa.Occasionally we see that
packets rx and tx stops on one of the port. I looked through the dpdk’s fm10k
driver’s code and found out that this could happen if rx/tx descriptors are not
available.

To improve performance, I am using RSS functionality and created five rx and tx
queue. Dedicated lcores are assigned to forward packets from port1 queue 0 to
port2 queue 0 and via versa.

During port initialization rx_queue is initialized with 128 Rx ring descriptor
size and tx_queue  is initialized 512 Tx ring descriptor. Threshold values are
left default.

I have few queries here:

  1.  Is above initialization value for rx and tx descriptor is good for each
queue for given port.
  2.  Under what conditions rx and tx descriptor gets exhausted?
  3.  Any suggestion or information you can provide to debug this issue?

Regards,
Amar