On Fri, Apr 09, 2021 at 02:15:04PM +0000, Wiles, Keith wrote:

> > On Apr 8, 2021, at 7:08 PM, Narcisa Ana Maria Vasile
> > <narcisa.vas...@microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the quick reply! Just to clarify, the libmlx4 doesn't get
> > installed when installing the latest Mellanox drivers.
> > Instead, the libmlx5 is installed, which I believe is the right one to use
> > with Cx5s.
> >
> > It looks like pktgen needs libmlx4 to run, so does this mean that it is
> > only working with older Mellanox tools and NICs?
> > I could try install the libmlx4, but my understanding was that libmlx4 is
> > for Cx3s and libmlx5 is for Cx4s and Cx5s.
>
> Pktgen has no requirement to work with any mlx library or hardware for that
> matter. I do not know what this problem is, but I believe it is not a Pktgen
> problem. Did you try with testpmd or any of the DPDK examples. If they work
> with mlx then I can look at why Pktgen does not work in this case. If
> anything the libmlx5 is referencing the mlx4 library for some reason and when
> you added the mlx5 PMD it also needed the mlx4.

  Sure, I understand it's not required to work with any of these HW or libs. I
thought I'd ask in case someone in the community tested with a similar
  setup and can confirm whether it works or not. If someone has it working,
then it's probably a misconfiguration on my side,
  alternatively if it's known that this is an unsupported setup I can stop
investigating.

> BTW, notice the error message states "EAL: libmlx4.so.1: cannot open shared
> object file: No such file or directory” EAL Is DPDK initialization not Pktgen.

  That's right, it looks like it's required by EAL. However, I am able to run
testpmd successfully. I've also tried l2fwd successfully.
  Still, this doesn't necessarily mean the issue is Pktgen-related, that's why
I wanted to verify here.