On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 09:16:01PM +0100, Ian Hinder wrote:
>       • The configuration.ccl file of the thorn would have a field for the
> URL of a tarball to download

The name of the tarball which is to be downloaded probably should
contain something like a version of the library. This means that if a
thorn gets updated (because of an updated version for example), old
checkouts of the thorn would still try to access the old version - which
means we would need to keep it around forever. Do we want this? This is
not a rhetorical question, the answer might as well be "yes". In fact,
that would probably be the most workable solution. We might even stuff
this tarball into a svn repository and download it directly from there,
without a checkout. git wouldn't be usable for that.

Frank