The latter option (doing this within the launcher) sounds like the more
robust approach (also we try and avoid using start levels) so I'll pursue
this angle.

Only problem is that the framework in our case is started by Glassfish, so
it looks like I have a bit more investigation to do!

BTW I can't help but think it would be a huge selling point for Felix if it
had a way to do this for you (you just dropped a file into a directory and
it applied the security policy automatically before locking things down)?

I would thank you, but there is a yellow banner at the top my screen warning
me that this would be a breach of mailing list etiquette!