At one point the gogo shell was subject of an OSGi RFP attempting to create
a shell specification. During that time and according the Apache Felix's
policy on consuming and implementing OSGi API, the packages of the
in-progress project in felix used the org.apache.felix namespace and were
marked provisional as you have noticed.

Fast forward several years and the shell specification never progressed any
further. However gogo did, still having the provisional attribute on it's
packages.

Moving further forward to late 2016 when some fairly significant work was
done to gogo and finally it was decided that after almost a decade gogo
should become finally version 1.0.0 and at that time since an OSGi spec was
now far from likely the attribute provisional was dropped.

The provisional attribute is merely a hint to developers to be aware that
the API they are consuming is likely to be subject to change, more so than
in pure semantic ways. It could suddenly become incompatible with no
explanation because the design is not yet finalized.

I hope this helps explain things. :)

- Ray

 (@rotty3000)
 (@Liferay)