Excluding definitions is pretty straightforward.  If a definition is in
the SWC you are “extern-ing” then those definitions don’t go in the output
module.  And then you are obligated to provide those definitions somehow
in some parent ApplicationDomain.

I’ve blogged about shared modules that get loaded directly into the main
application domain so multiple modules can share those definitions.  RSLs
also bring in shared definitions.

You can unzip a swc and check its catalog.xml to see what definitions are
in a swc.

HTH,
-Alex