Hey Scott:

I had the same problem a few years ago and the activityLevel never shows
anything no matter what event you listen for. I think it was marked a bug that
was then resolved as not important enough to fix, so we ended up not
implementing a feature that required (it wasn't high priority anyway) it and
wrote it off as an AIR limitation. Just one of many AIR limitations, including
no audio echo cancellation until they finally got that into an AIR release
recently for mobile. They had it for flash player some years ago but were
extremely slow getting it done for mobile.

Anyway, just one of the issues of working with AIR.

Activity level may be fixed by now though in a recent version of AIR. If not,
you may be able to write an ANE to do it if nobody fixed this issue, or there
may be a workaround I'm not familiar with.

Erik