Unfortunately, the flash CameraRoll (which is truly great) doesn't provide what
you need in this scenario.

I think you have three options:

1. Respond to the "select" event and if the file is unsupported, pop a message
and allow them to select another file. Make sure your app UI preps the user
about what image types are supported. However, this is a sticky wicket when
only supporting one image type when all other apps in the world support at
least png and jpg, and often bmp, etc.

2. Change your app to support png format which is a really good idea anyway,
and use #1 if they select a video.

3. Use an ANE that supports a filter.

I do not see any option in flash CameraRoll to establish a file type filter.
But consider that mobile apps are about easy stuff. So supporting both png and
jpeg at a minimum will increase the value of your app by a lot. If you need any
help using the 2d library to manipulate jpg and png, I can help. I've written a
lot of raw bitmap manipulation logic through the years, both jpg and png. In
fact, if you really need to only support jpg, you can convert your png to a
jpg, though it takes a little time on a mobile device, measured in seconds if
it's large.

Cheers,

Erik