I played around with various of these techniques and they all present
different problems. Loading the child SWF into its own Application Domain
sorts out the styling problem but presents a different problem. Upon resize
nothing happens; the child SWF remain the same size or scales rather than
resizing (depending on SWFLoader settings).

I found this old post you commented on:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/430250
<https://forums.adobe.com/thread/430250>

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "It might be worth it to implement
IFlexDisplayObject.". The child SWF is an mx:Application which already
implements that interface via its class hierarchy. Do you mean the launching
application?