Hi Paul,

many years ago I must say that was completely true, for that reason I
started trying to introduce in my clients and projects Flash and AMF in
early 2000, first with Flash authoring tool, then with MTASC (someone
remember it? ;)), and then Flex was really what we just needed. That was
very disruptive compared with the html/js/css stack at that time.

Currently that's not true. Near 2020, js is like the bytecode in Flash and
Royale is the current Flex. So it's clear that you don't need to go very
"low level", but if you needed, you can do it! (and that's good). But
Royale should allow you to develop without the need to go that route. and
just use good proven patterns like Flex did. We're working towards
that...and I think we're already got it. :)

About GUI IDE, although I think is something very cool to have something
like that, I abandoned that kind of tools many years ago. Maybe in the
future I could be working in something like that, just for pleasure, but
for now there's still many work to do in Royale in things more needed.
Maybe others could drive that effort... But I really think the current
Royale coding is very straight forward to do. As well examples like Tour De
Jewel has a lot of code to see how things should be used and learn from it
a lot of good practices.

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira