I just began the process of recovering from attempting to run a .ppt
slideshow that crashed my machine.

I attempted to run it once and it crashed Impress.  I tried to run it
again and it crashed my machine - hard.  I now have a partially
unrecoverable VMWare Workstation VM that I critically need to be able
to run.

I am running:

2.6.35-24-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 2 02:41:37 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=maverick
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 10.10"

LibreOffice 3.3.0
OOO330m18 (Build:4)
tag libreoffice-3.3.0.2

Unfortunately the .ppt file is confidential information and I can't
submit it for analysis, but this is seriously bad - LO should not
crash the host no matter how screwed up one of its (or MSO's) files
might be.