Thanks Dash. Your point is well taken and I suppose I could have used a much
simpler example -- an example of how I use this in practice and why "Undo"
won't suffice. (I should also note that the observed behaviour occurred on
the Mac OS version of LO -- I will try it in Ubuntu in VirtualBox and see if
the same behaviour occurs.)

In any event, here is the "real world" scenario:

I use LO to take notes in class. I have a character style called "BigWords,"
which applies a dash underline, bolds the text and gives it a coloured
background. My (obvious) intent is to be able to quickly review my notes at
a later date and concentrate on only the important information.

I assigned a keyboard shortcut to the "BigWords" style, so as I type, I can
simply hit the keyboard shortcut and continue typing. Under OOo, I could
then hit Ctrl-M and continue typing the remainder of the sentence. Because
of the inconsistency in LO, I cannot do the same in it. And, of course, if I
am several pages on and realize that I want to change the location of
"BigWords" in a previous section, "Undo" is of no use.

Thank you for checking against the Ubuntu version. I hope what I wrote makes
sense.