Is this possible?

I am creating a nested table. The documentation offers only: "Insert> Table," for the target cell (with cursor in target.) That's fine. Once I create an inserted table in one cell of a host table, I want to copy that table to most of the remaining cells and then just change the data in the sub-tables afterward. I tried copying but it doesn't work. I can copy the nested table and paste outside the host table, but I can't paste into other cells. I looked at "Paste special" but that didn't work. I looked at options for "Insert" but didn't find any way to choose a pre- created table. If this feature is not available, it would be most nice to add something for this. My current solution is simply to insert and re-define the table for each and every cell, which is a bit tedious.
If anyone knows of a slick solution for this in Writer I am most interested.

Host OS: XP SP3
LibreOffice 3.3.1
App: Writer

Jacob Valdez