On Mar 21, 2011, at 22:14 , Stefan Weigel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 21.03.2011 17:59, schrieb James Wilde:
>
>> I have a calc sheet with full names in one column, thus:
>>
>> John Smith
>> Jane Smollett
>>
>> I want to create a column with forenames and one with surnames.
>
> No need for formulae.
>
> Have a look at: "Data | Text to Columns..."
>
> See: http://help.libreoffice.org/Calc/Text_to_Columns

Thanks, Stefan, that could have done the hard work for me if I had known about
it.  Good to know for next time, too, as it will certainly come up again.  To
be sure I would have had a few strange results, since some names include more
than one space (the separator) if, for example, a person has two forenames
which are not hyphenated, or two surnames, but there aren't so many of them
that they couldn't have been handled manually.

//James