Reverse experience here. I stopped doing maintenance on my computers after I
dumped Windows. Best move I ever made, it freed up a ton of time for more
productive things.

As to Microsoft giving us universal communications - horse manure. It was
MicroPro that did that, with WordStar, back when the most advanced Microsoft
editor was EDLIN.COM

Wayne