From: Gianluca Turconi [mailto:pub...@letturefantastiche.com]
Sent: Monday, May 30, 2011 8:38 AM
To: users@libreoffice.org
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: Trivia Question - Further Observation

Hello Alex,

In data 30 maggio 2011 alle ore 11:41:51, Alexander Thurgood
<alex.thurg...@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> Ultimately, it is not merely the remarks that Michael made, that I may,
> or may not, have misinterpreted. As I mentioned, it transpires from
> other mailing lists, the dev irc channel, the bug reports, the decisions
> to consider any given bug as a stopper or not.

I've lurked this specific argument in the dev/steering discuss/French
mailing lists when you were commenting Meeks's statement.

Now, I'm working with other people on this project:

http://www.mail-archive.com/projects@libreoffice.org/msg00241.html

During a lengthy and indeed very interesting discussion with Italo
Vignoli, Andrea Pescetti and others in the Italian discuss mailing list
(for people who knows Italian:
http://www.mail-archive.com/discuss@it.libreoffice.org/msg00104.html ) , I
finally wondered: will the relashionship between the Community LibO
*product* and the commercially supported ones (Novell/Canonical/Red
Hat/put-here-your-preferred-corporation) be like the relationship between
Fedora Project Linux, a cutting edge and less stable version of Red Hat
Enterprise Linux, a very solid and corporate oriented linux distribution
based on Fedora?

I haven't a sure answer yet, but Andrea Pescetti pointed me to these Meeks
messages:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2011-May/011424.html
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2011-April/011153.html

and to the extremely important "Breathing Master" discussion here:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2011-May/thread.html

Those comments and discussions + yours + the relatively scarce news I know
about the LibO/TDF new business model based on paid certification for
support corporation, let me think that a Community Libo "cutting edge"
product is here to stay and may be a part of that business model.

Well, *if* it's so, I'm simply not happy of such solution. It creates a
viable open ecosystem around LibO, for sure, but undermines the proverbial
rock solid stability I always experienced in OOo.

Just my 2 eurocents, of course. ;-)

Regards,

Gianluca
--
Lettura gratuita o acquisto di libri e racconti di fantascienza, fantasy,
horror, noir, narrativa fantastica e tradizionale:

deleted