Hi :)
You can reboot the machine with the Ubuntu Cd in and "Try it" instead of
installing.  It's the slowest way to try Ubuntu but it's still often faster
that
way than Windows.

Actually the 10.04 and the 10.10 are a bit quirky so i tend to choose the
"Install it" option and then at the next page go "Back" and then try the "Try
it" option. [sigh]  It takes maybe 10-15 mins to get to a working desktop using
the Cd but Firefox is on the top taskbar and it's worth checking how fast that
works at surfing a few sites.