I want to create a spreadsheet that connects to a customers database and
pulls out statistical info into various sheets and presents it nicely.

I am using a portable version of LibreOffice with an appropriate JDK/JRE and
ojdbc6.jar in a sub-folder.

My first step is to connect to the Oracle database.
I can do it by opening Base and putting in the JDBC connection details and
username /password.
I can then go back to Calc and use it.
However, when I go to a client it will be a new connection and I'd rather
just click a single button rather than flip around between 2 applications
setting things up.

How would I do these steps using a macro?
i.e.
take the connection details from a range in the sheet (the customer would
enter these details)
create a new connection to Oracle
run an sql query
put the output onto a new sheet

I'm proficient in Java and VBA but I am new to LibreOffice macros so I just
need some pointers on how to get going.

Thanks