Tom and all

On Fri, 2011-08-05 at 13:08 +0100, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> There are other countries in the world and not all of them follow the US
> slavishly.  It's not "the" government, it's just "a" government.
>

> Many other countries push OpenSource or at least non-MS, sometimes just
> because
> they don't see any need to make a foreign company richer, sometimes to
> support
> local languages and culture better.
>

> Brasil is not small and has a huge and specifically LibreOffice community.
> Germany and Italy are also strongly supportive of LibreOffice apparently
> along
> with France.  Most of Europe has 20% of the market using OpenOffice or
> LibreOffice.  Spanish governments (4/5 of them) put resources into developing
> their own variants of Ubuntu/Debain i think the other went with Arch.  The
> Scientific & Technological Research Council of Turkey develop Pardus which
> was
> one of the first distros to have LibreOffice by default.  Vietnam and many
> other
> countries are supporting a strong push towards OpenSource.  The "One Laptop
> Per
> Child" programme has helped children get a better education and is based on
> OpenSource.
>

> There is a lot of positive OpenSource action going on around the world which
> might leave corporate America lagging behind!
>
> Regards from
> Tom :)

I can see another reason for say Turkey or Russia using FOSS is that
they can create a fork for local specialized needs of major FOSS
project. I expect as more people get comfortable with FOSS solutions we
will see more of this. It has started with Linux but could include LO,
OO, Calligra where a specialized version is developed.

--
Jay Lozier
jsloz...@gmail.com