+1 to freedom!

from twohot@device.mobile :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Andreas Säger <ville...@t-online.de>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 11:05:54
To: <users@global.libreoffice.org>
Subject: [libreoffice-users] Re: Calc corrupted an Excel xlsx file, should I
report a bug?

Am 07.09.2011 09:56, Roelof Oomen wrote:
> I got a corrupted Excel xlsx file when I opened and subsequently saved it
> using LibreOffice Calc. When I open it in Excel the message is "Excel found
> unreadable content [...]", but opening it again in Calc does not produce any
> errors.
>
> Should I file a bug? Or is someone interested in the file in order to improve
> the xlsx saving abilities of Calc?
>
> Cheers,
> Roelof

Please consider this when you collaborate with users of MS Office (Excel
in this particular case):

- All Excel users can open xls.
- Calc and xls have more than a decade of common history, thus xls is
supported by Calc almost perfectly, much better than the new shit.
- Any new features that may be saved in the new xlsx format do not exist
in any software other than Excel. In other words: xlsx may include
features you can not even see in Calc or errors that can not be fixed in
Calc.
- Saving xlsx in Calc helps MS to spread a file format that has been
bribed through the standardization boards to fight the existing ODF
standard (odt, ods, odp, odg).
- For MS incompatibility is a feature.

"Compatibility" can not be a one-way street.

Solution #1:
Send back an xls version of that file and ask them to exchange
spreadsheets in that format.

Solution #2:
They can install LibreOffice side by side with their usual office suite.

Solution #3:
http://www.freeware-downloads.org/download/programm.php?pro=sun-odf-plugin
makes their office suite fully ODF aware.

On top of all this, I am convinced that LibreOffice must not write MS
OOXML. This is an anti-feature against our own interests.

Greetings,
Andreas