On Thu, 2011-10-13 at 09:39 +0100, Mark Stanton wrote:

> I think the simple answer to your question ("Is this the same in LO")
> is "yes".  But, as others have suggested, it is because you haven't
> quite got the right way of looking at it.
>
> Using a database rather than a spreadsheet allows you to group things
> according to the content of the data rather than where it is.
>
> With a database you can pull out any of subset of your data by
> selecting a group according to one of it's unique factors, for
> example "select all phone numbers from people in the advanced group"
> (for example) because you have a field in your data for "advanced
> group", not because all those people are in a separate file.
> I've worked on large databases written by so-called professionals
> which used tables to separate data, and it is almost always just
> slower and more complicated than arranging the data better.
>
> I'd guess from some of the things you've said in your last mesage
> that you've read Mariano Casanova's Step by Step guide to Base.  It
> has a very good section on organising data that I think will make
> your life much easier.
>
> In general it looks like Base (either LO or OOO) only accesses one
> database at a time.  You probably want to stop thinking so much about
> "files" since the concept doesn't help very much in most of the
> context of what you want to do.
>
> As a last note, I'm using a MySQL backend under Fedora and no, it's
> not fast.  I'll look into why, but I wonder if it's the JSQL
> interface too.

When I use Base with MySQL/MariaDB I use the direct connection option. I
forget which package is needed for this, I know I installed a MySQL to
LO connection from the Ubuntu repositories. The connection seems
reasonably quick and I can access all the databases/schemas on my box.

--
Jay Lozier
jsloz...@gmail.com