On 10/29/2011 02:38 AM, Thomas Knierim wrote:
Offtopic - anyway: I'm often trying different distros (just for fun and) to see
how they develop. Every distro has it's own pros and cons. (I haven't found a
perfect distro for me). I'm going to check ubuntu again (last time was a year
ago). But ubuntu is somehow proprietary which I dislike. And since I set up
some computers for friends I'm always looking for a distro with actual software
and long and good support - which is opensuse (do you know another?)

Thomas,

Have you heard of the Linux distribution called Trisquel? I use it.

Below are some excerpts from web pages, with my comments in brackets:

1. http://trisquel.info/en/wiki
Trisquel is a fully free (as in *"free speech"*, not merely as in "free of charge") GNU <http://www.gnu.org/>/Linux <http://www.fsfla.org/svnwiki/selibre/linux-libre/> based operating system. It is derived from Ubuntu, but includes only free software <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html>. Trisquel has several editions, designed for different uses: ["Home", Edu, Pro, and Mini]
Long Term Support versions have several editions, [...]

2. http://trisquel.info/en/faq
It [the Trisquel project] was officially presented <http://trisquel.info/presentacion> on April 2005 with the presence and support of Richard Stallman, founder of the Free Software Foundation <http://fsf.org>.

3. http://www.fsf.org/associate/benefits
*Here are just some of the benefits of being an associate member of the Free Software Foundation...* You will receive an ultra slim, credit-card-sized, 2GB card loaded with Trisquel Live <http://www.fsf.org/associate/card>, a fully free GNU/Linux distribution.

Winston