Pedro wrote:

> prino wrote:
>> I would appreciate it if someone could have a look at to why this
>> document doesn't display the way it should be displayed.
>>

> Actually RTF must be the worse format in the world :)
>
> I opened your document under XP SP3 Pro x86 in 6 different word processors
> and it didn't look the same in any two: Wordpad, Abiword 2.9.0,
> LibreOffice 3.4.4RC2, IBM Lotus Symphony 3,  Kingsoft Office 2012 and
> Softmaker Office 2012.
>
> I would say that the only one where it looked complete and properly
> formatted was in Softmaker, which isn't surprising :)
>
> If you are using LibreOffice I advise you to stick with ODF. If you need
> to send files to people who don't use LibreOffice, then stick with doc
> (not docx)

If I need to send documents to others, I use plain text, where I might add
some *bold* or _underscore_ "tags", but nothing more. Files are small and
everyone can read plain text!

Actually, other than the fact that LibreOffice cannot read (some) RTF
correctly, its implementation of an RTF writer is absolute, excusez-le-mot,
Sh*te, with a capital S!  It doesn't do any factoring of tags, and the
documents it produces are humongous.

An example?

I have a program that processes my, don't laugh,  hitchhiking data. (Yes, at
the age of 51 I still hitchhike, see http://hitchwiki.org/community/prino/ )
It optionally outputs the files in RTF format (it dates back to the early
1990'ies, i.e. well before OO & LO) All of the resulting RTF files contain
the absolute minimum of tags and one has a size of just 299kb, a mere 26kb
more than the plain text file.

M$ Word was already bad, blowing it up to around 330kb, but LO Writer
completely takes the piss by saving it as a 1.1Mb RTF file, and looking at
it makes you wonder why Writer adds the same set of completely irrelevant
tags over and over and over (and over and over ad nauseam) again.

As an aside, the fact that it's very easy to turn plain text into RTF using
about any editor and/or simple scripts is a big advantage that RTF has over
ODF, try making an ODT file on IBM's z/OS...

Robert