On 04/11/2012 12:39 PM, Don C. Myers wrote:
> Hi Fabian,
>
> I've been using Ubuntu for 3+ years. A few years ago I had some
> issues with the Ubuntu OpenOffice packages. It might not have been
> their fault since I had non-repo versions installed when I did an
> upgrade. To fix that problem, I did a complete uninstall of the
> Ubuntu version and installed the official OpenOffice version. Ever
> since then I've used only the official OpenOffice version before
> LibreOffice came along, and the official LibreOffice version from
> http://www.libreoffice.org/. they aren't as pretty, but
> functionality has been very good. I've been running 3.5.2 on Ubuntu
> 11.10 and also 12.04 Beta 2 without any issues. And the recent
> documents function works perfectly fine in the LibreOffice version
> in Ubuntu 11.10 and 12.04 Beta 2. Here is how I do my install:
> (This is for the 64 bit version.)
>
> Download LibO_3.5.2_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz to the
> desktop. Right click on it and extract it to the desktop. This will
> give you the folder LibO_3.5.2rc2_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US
> Run the following terminal commands to install it: 1. sudo apt-get
> remove libreoffice*.*

It is unnecessary to remove the Ubuntu/distro version of LO. That
version *and* the standard LO version(s) reside nicely on the same
machine, and can be run simultaneously. I currenly have open &
working, at the same time: LO 3.3.4, LO 3.4.6, LO 3.5.1.2, (U)LO
3.3.4, OOo 3.4.0, and OOo-Dev3:

$ locate bootstraprc
/opt/libreoffice/program/bootstraprc
/opt/libreoffice3.4/program/bootstraprc
/opt/libreoffice3.5/program/bootstraprc
/opt/ooo-dev3/program/bootstraprc
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/bootstraprc
/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/bootstraprc

The only bits you need to watch out for is where the user
configuration files are placed. In order to not have one write over
the other, I simply modify the bootsraprc file *before first run* so
that each have their own user config/profile files. Example:

For LO 3.3:
$ gksu gedit /opt/libreoffice/program/bootstraprc
and change
UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/.libreoffice/3
UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/.libreoffice3.3/3

For LO 3.4:
$ gksu gedit /opt/libreoffice3.4/program/bootstraprc

UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/.libreoffice3.4/3

For LO 3.5:
$ gksu gedit /opt/libreoffice3.5/program/bootstraprc

UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/libreoffice3.5/3

Create menu items to each (example:
'/opt/libreoffice3.5/program/soffice'), and that's it. The
Ubuntu/distro version will keep it's profile at ~/.libreoffice/3/user
(or ~/.config/libreoffice/3/user in the case of the 3.5 versions), the
others will name & put the profile as you've intsructed in the
bootstraprc file.