On Sat, 2012-04-14 at 12:34 +0200, Andreas Säger wrote:
> Am 14.04.2012 04:22, avamk wrote:
> > Thank you for all of your replies, the information is very helpful, and I
> > will continue to explore.
> >
> > Just one more question: Would migrating to other databases (like MySQL or
> > PostgreSQL) be similar to how I would migrate from an *.odb file to a HSQL
> > database? If not, are there instructions for transitioning to MySQL or
> > PostgreSQL?
> >

> No, because you start with a working database structure before you
> connect your Base document to it. Even if you can edit tables, fields
> and relations of a foreign database, you can't create such a database
> newly from scratch and you should abstain from editing tables, fields,
> indices and relations of a foreign database. Always use dedicated
> software for the respective type of database engine.
> Having some Base connection to some source database (including
> spreadsheets, text etc) and another connection to a target database, you
> can always copy the raw data from source database to the
> _prepared_tables_ of the target database. Spreadsheet ranges can be
> copied directly.
> But you should abstain from the feature which allows you to create
> clipboard tables from scratch. This is another big trouble maker among
> all the useless Base features. The copy&paste between databases is very
> useful but you should always append new rows to prepared tables.
> There are a lot more obsolete Base features which cause more trouble
> than convenience. Most of the Base component which had been added to OOo
> v2 could be removed without losing the capability to connect, query,
> report and use input forms.

Hi Andreas,

Sorry, I can't agree with your advice to avamk on this one.

Sure you can edit tables on 'your' database, as long as he is the one
doing the work the fact that it is a server based system is meaningless
in this regard

As for Base features, the problem is that there just aren't enough of
them, or they are half done, not too many.

//drew