On 05/26/2012 04:25 PM, J.A. de Vries wrote:
Hi Guy,

I use lots of OpenType Fonts (.otf files)) in LibreOffice on my Debian
system. Never had any trouble with them at all. I figure you shouldn't
have a problem under Windows either, but I can't verify that for you as
I don't have that OS at hand.
I am sorry. You were asking about Mac. Should have read better.

The code to support those typefaces apparently is available in
LibreOffice, so I don't expect any trouble coming from that angle.
However I know just about nothing about Mac, so I don't know if that
platform supports OTF at all. I guess it should, because Adobe has
always targetted that platform as one of their main markets.

Grx HdV

If you contact me off the list, I can send you a OTF font and you can try it on your Mac. I have over 100,000 fonts in my collection and many of them are OTF. As I said before, I do have a complete[?] Adobe font library from before 2006. I have Adobe fonts in OTF and TTF formats.

I tend to use TTF if I have a font in both format styles. But that is a choice and not a requirement. I have so many fonts, I can use a non-Adobe version that looks 99.9% like the Adobe version. This way, if I need to deal with passing documents to others for shared editing duties, I can pass on the font file as well. You should not do that with Adobe's licenses.

So, contact me at webmas...@krackedpress.com off the list and I can attach an OTF font to the reply so you can test out if Mac has a problem with OTF. If you know of a non-Adobe font you want to try, I may have it in ODF format.

-----

What are the font names you are going to use? Those font names have many versions. You will need to know the exact version name[s] if you are going to deal with a magazine and its exact font formatting.

Stone comes in:
      Stone Informal
      Stone Informal Std
      Stone Sans
      Stone Sans Std
      Stone Serif
      Stone Serif Std

and Avenir comes in:
      Avenir
      Avenir LTS Std

plus those names comes in various names like:
      Bold,
      Italic,
      Bold Italic,
      Black,