I'm using a spreadsheet to track a project (yes I know not a good idea but that's what the customer wants). Each task is listed with certain number of days plus a slip factor. I calculate the project completion date by summing the number of days and the slope factor and add that to the previous date (which may have slipped which is why I reference the next task off of that date).

How can I encapsulate the time calculations so that I use the same cell equation for all of them? The patter I'm currently using is letter -1 and letter -2 (number of days for project plus days of slippage) plus date in number -1 (up one cell).

another question is if I insert a new row because I'm adding a task, or delete a row, how can I make the total display automatically without having to tweak the cell numbers?is there any form of symbolic reference?

Many thanks
--- eric