IT seems that the "breaking dictionary" is mostly a Windows thing, if what I read is correct.

It is to be that my KPP [Kracked Press Productions] dictionaries would work and not "break". As far as I understand, this issue is a somewhat hit or miss for people. You could have one system work fine but a different system, same make/model/OS/etc., will not work properly. Why it happens is the key to figure out a fix for it.

Sometimes I wonder if there is something in the "default" English dictionary is the issue. I took a "non-English" dictionary that was not working for someone and un-archive it and open the parts into a text editor, then re-archive it. Then the person who had the problems with the original one stated it worked fine now. So, there could be something that "creeps into" the file/install somehow, somewhere, that triggers something for only a few users.

I have never heard of the Spell checking "breaking" in the Ubuntu installs, but someone could have had it happen.

I did my best to make sure my KPP dictionaries worked as well as possible. I hope to update them one day. I lost some of my work during one of my sick weeks and a "ooops I deleted the wrong folder" issue. I had my 638,000 spelling word list over 700,000 words. I even had one that was over 1,000,000 words, with most of the new words being not-popular-but-valid-spelling words. I hope to get back to this in the near future. The American English largest list is 638,644 words, and the British list is 638,285 words.