File association on Linux are usually managed by the desktop environment,
and as usual settings are first taken from individual user configuration,
then from system wide default.
The package installation probably set the system wide default, but packages
can't change individual user settings.
If okular took default when lo was removed, it's in user settings, which
can't be overriden by packages...