From: Andrew Brager <apb3...@bak.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: Labeling in Calc
To:
 users@global.libreoffice.org
Date: Sunday, 22 July, 2012, 19:40

On 7/22/2012 10:34 AM, Andreas Säger wrote:

> Enter raw data into a spreadsheet (Excel, Gnumeric, Calc, whatever), a text
> editor, some dBase application, a true database, whatever.
> Connect a Base document to the tabular data source and design a report.

But that's the point isn't it.  I've got to enter data into the spreadsheet.
We're in agreement.

Why must I take the time, expense and trouble to "design a report" when I can
get satisfactory results with a bare minimum of time, expense and trouble using
Calc?

Clearly, you know Base and designing said report is no big deal for you.  I
think I may have opened Base once, and I simply don't have the time to learn
it, nor the money to pay someone else to do the work for me.  Especially not
when a solution presents itself in Calc so
 readily.

Yes, your solution is elegant, ideal and based in academia where people have
all the time in the world to learn applications and techniques and then design
dream or "best practice" solutions.  In the world of business it's about
simplicity, speed, expense and return on investment.  I can hire a virtual
assistant from a third world country for less than $2 an hour, who already
knows how to use a spreadsheet (not that cut & pasting requires much
knowledge), whereas to hire a programmer to design a report would cost in
excess of $8 an hour (and everytime I need a change I either have to go find
that same contractor who now charges more, or start the interview process all
over again; a time consuming task) - plus I still need to hire the assistant
that ends up doing just about the exact same (busy) work anyway.  So where is
the economical benefit to your solution?

Your solution works for you because you have not
 considered the real cost of implementing it.  It may be "best practice" from
an academic, engineering and/or scientific standpoint, but from a SMALL
business perspective it makes little sense.  You've absorbed the cost of your
own time and pegged it's value at zero.  I'm taking real dollars out of my own
pocket and paying someone to do the work.  It's the same reason why people hire
housekeepers - if the cost of the housekeeper were more than the employers
income they couldn't afford to pay the housekeeper for long and would
eventually have to clean their own house.  You're cleaning your own house and
that works for you.  Great!  I prefer to pay someone so I'm free to focus my
time on what I hope are more profitable endeavors.

> As a matter of fact, database forms (even Base forms) provide much faster and
> less error prone ways of data entry. In the last 2 years I replaced a dozend
> of useless spreadsheet lists
 with simple databases because "my users" never really got used to spreadsheet
editing (navigation, dates, numbers, clear, delete, ...). Spreadsheets are too
versatile for untrained users. Wrong data yield wrong results. My databases
collect a thousand of manually entered records per month on a local network.

So really you're trying to apply a one-size-fits-all approach.  My users (1 or
2 assistants) already know how to use spreadsheets so technically they're not
"untrained", whereas your users do not know how.  You collect thousands of
MANUALLY entered records per month. I might have maybe a thousand or so records
total, which can be cut & pasted from website to spreadsheet.  My needs are
different than yours.  Any solution needs to take the customer's needs and
unique situation into account and in this case I'm the customer.