On 8/10/2012 3:09 PM, Andreas Säger wrote:
Am 10.08.2012 22:41, Séamas Ó Brógáin wrote:
Andrew wrote:

A blank line does not have to be an empty line.  (^$)

She didn’t say “blank line”: she said “white line.” A white line is a
line space between paragraphs that contains no text. (In a
word-processor file I take this to be a line created by pressing the
“return” key a second time.) The concept and the term are some centuries
older than word-processor contrivances whereby extra space is added as
part of a paragraph style.

But she mentions that she replaces ^p in WinWord which matches a paragraph mark. Regular expression ^[:space:]*$ matches optional white space between the start position and the end position of a line.

Exactly right Andreas. However, that expression doesn't match the tab character which is why I suggested using [:ctrl:] in a prior post. I realize now that [:ctrl]* would have been more accurate. I don't think you need the ^$, because if it's not between the beginning and end of the line, then where else could it be? I will admit I haven't tested it.