Am 15.08.2012 22:31, Thomas Taylor wrote:
It's been way too many years since I did commercial programming on
databases and I've forgotten some of the terms (formats) for numerical
data.  I'm trying to create a simple database of local
facilities/doctors/stores with Base using the wizards. The formats that
are giving me trouble are:

Text[VARCHAR]    - a variable number of type CHAR?
Text(fix)[CHAR]  - does that mean a fixed number of CHAR?

Right.

Integer[INTEGER] \
Numeric[NUMERIC]  > How do these differ?
Decimal{DECIMAL] /

There are tiny integers, small integers, integers and big integer numbers. Decimal(8,3) has 8 digits, 3 of them behind the point.
I don't know about Numeric. Never used that.

I looked in LibreOffice help but couldn't find the definitions.  Some
help would be appreciated.

Base is not a database program. It is a mere frontend. You may decide to wrap a HSQLDB backend into the frontend file which is a very unstable construction and should be avoided for production databases.
The embeddable HSQLDB 1.8 is documented here:
http://www.hsqldb.org/doc/1.8/guide/ch09.html

For instance, which format is used for a telephone number?
(1.800.123.4567)?

That is text unless you want to practice some arithmetic witchcraft on phone "numbers". A pattern control on a form can enforce the right pattern of points and digits.