Apologies all for tardiness in replying

I eventually went with the Data > Validity suggestion triggered from a ?
Symbol next to the relevant cell

And I knew about the date layout bit - honest I did :)

Thanks for the help

Graham

:-) ->--------------------<

On 09/09/2012 12:39, Brian Barker [via Document Foundation Mail Archive]
wrote:
> At 03:19 09/09/2012 -0700, Graham Lovatt wrote:
> >Calc: How do i (can i) place in a cell a message - that isn't part
> >of the active spreadsheet?  I want to tell the user the data type
> >they should be entering as 'date type 01/01/2012' and that the
> >message will disappears as the user starts typing
>
> Easy: just put that text into the cell!  The nature of spreadsheets
> is that anything you type into a cell replaces what is already in
> it.  Your user will overwrite the message with the actual data.
>
> Alternatively, you could insert a note in the relevant cell (Insert |
> Note or right-click | Insert Note).  The user would need to
> understand the note indicator and know how to hover over it to see
> your advice - or you could choose Show Note if you want the note to
> be permanently visible.
>
> Incidentally, your example date of 01/01/2012 is uniquely unhelpful,
> since it could represent either month-day-year or
> day-month-year!  You probably need something like 31/12/2012 or
> 12/31/2012.  Mind you, the exact format of entry may not matter, as
> the spreadsheet will interpret the input according to the locale and
> display it according to the formatting of the cell.
>
> I trust this helps.
>
> Brian Barker

> deleted

> NAML
> <http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

-----
IGraham

W764  LibreOffice 3.5.2.2