On 21/09/12 13:04, Werner F. Bruhin wrote:
On 20/09/2012 20:48, Werner F. Bruhin wrote:
I am hitting my head against this for the last day or so.

I define a custom label 2 columns 6 rows, the labels are 10.5cm x 4.8cm
with a top edge of 0.45cm.

I then create a document and insert a horizontal line and sync the
labels and print it.

In my view the horizontal line should be printed every 4.8cm (6 times),
however they print a little off, difficult to measure but I would say
they are about 4.75cm apart.

Obviously my real label will have more then a horizontal line, at the
top it has an image, with a return address text to the right and then
further down a mail merge will print the address.

The labels do not fit on the paper correctly, the first 3 rows are fine,
but then it goes off too much to be usable.

I was on 3.5.x, when googling about this I noticed some posts about
alignment issues with avery labels which are fixed in 3.0.x, so I
upgraded to 3.6.1 but I still see the same issue.

Is this a know issue?

Werner

P.S.
Is there a way of changing the label definition on an existing document,
or do I really have to start all over again each time I want to
adjust/fine tune my label layout?

O.K.
I take it that no answer here on the list means that either no one uses
mail merge with labels or just printing to labels using a custom format.

I will open an issue on the bug tracker later today.  In the mean time I
installed WordPerfect 11 (2003) and defined my custom label and it
prints without issues, i.e. correctly aligned.

I am not complaining, as besides the label handling I have mostly
converted over to OO and LibreOffice for some time now.  But I have to
say the label definition and handling in general is I am sorry to say
ugly/archaic.  I strongly suggest to look at this maybe for 3.7 and if
so take a very very close look at the old WP interface which is hundred
times more intuitive then the current LO one when it comes to label
definition/changing and general label/merge handling.

Werner

Hello Werner,

you might also want to look at creating your label template(s) with a table, rather than the curious frame based system used currently by LibreOffice. It's what I do and it is very successful. I find that I have more accurate control over the layout with this method.

Peter HB