This solution looks pretty inconvenient, as the figures are not
automatically resized to match the
defined arrangement in the frame. Or am I missing something?
Also, according to your explanation, I do not see how you can arrange
4 figures in a, for example, 2 x 2 distribution.
When you say
"The figure is anchored as a character. This permits me to place two
figures into the frame and have the figures centered."
I presume this is only to put 2 figures in a 2 rows x 1 column arrangement.
Am I wrong? If so, could you explain how to arrange 4 figures as 2
rows x 2 columns in the page?

Thanks

Agus