I’ve got some data, that, very simplified looks like

1,2,3,4,“Cell E1”
2,2,3,4,“Cell E2”
3,2,3,4,”“Cell E3”“
4,2,3,4,“Cell E4”
5,2,3,4,”“Cell E5”“

i.e. it contains both text and quoted text.

When I import this (LO 3.6.1, W7-64, UK English) using

Codepage: System
Separated by: Comma
Merge delimiters: Yes (irrelevant)
Text delimiter: “

Quoted fields as text: Yes
Detect special numbers: Yes

line 4 of the input file ends up as the second line in cell E3 and the final
“CELL E5” (in cell E4) is followed by a newline

How do I get this imported correctly - any solutions that suggest to modify
the input data are unacceptable, the data comes from z/OS and for what it's
worth, imported correctly in LO 3.5.4...