Am 06.10.2012 19:16, John Clegg wrote:
> Whilst a condom is always wise I still prefer to put it on for
> myself........

If you prefer to not choose anything, the other side will take her own
precautions.

-- Your mail/cloud client creates a *temporary file for viewing* unless
you explicitly *downloaded* your own copy of the document. You can never
be sure about the life time, location or file name of a temporary file.
Your modification on a temporary file will be all lost on restart. If
you want an editable file you need to download your own copy to a
location and file name of your choice.

-- Any other application which allows me to edit a document loaded from
a read-only file will not allow me to save the modified document to the
same file. It will force me to choose another path-name to store my
modifications.

-- The application which displays the document loaded from a read-only
file is not the application which is responsible for the read-only
status of that file.

-- LibreOffice never ever modifies the read-write status of any file on
your entire file system. It has no means to do such things.