Am 09.10.2012 09:14, Marcello Romani wrote:
> Il 08/10/2012 14:13, John Clegg ha scritto:
>> OK, if I accept everything that has been said, then why wouldn't
>> opening an
>> in-memory r/w copy be the sensible default action?
>
> So that when the user would try to save it a Save As dialog would appear ?
>
> Sounds good to me.

Again, it is not the office program which creates read-only files. In
most cases some other application calls the office to *view* some
document. In most cases the office is called by a browser, mail client
or cloud application to view online content or mail attachments.

There are many reasons why this application has a viewing mode. It must
not open some document in unsaved template mode just because the file is
read-only. That would be extremely annoying for many users.
Most of our ODF documents (documentations, print-outs, database forms,
reports) are strictly read-only because only one person (me, the file
owner) is supposed to modify these. The co-workers can work with the
contained material (read, print, mail as PDF, edit databases through forms).

All you've got to do is hitting the edit button in order to get an
editable new and unsaved document.
All you've got to do is saving the same document in your own file system
in order to get your own editable copy of the document.

Some Microsoft "feature" carries over the read-only flag when an
application saves a document under another name. I'd call this a bug. No
other file system behaves that silly. You need to turn it off in the
file properties (right-click file in Win Explorer>Properties...).

There is also an internal read-only mode implemented in the office
program (File>Save As... save with password, open read-only with
password). But that is another story. The internal flag within the
document does not protect the file from being manipulated by other
applications and the read-only status is carried with every copy of the
file.